Cult entities of various religions and different entities of culture represent the spiritual life of St.-Petersburg. In the city, all varieties of main religious directions are represented practically: Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Catholicism and their variation. Taking into account, that the majority of the native population of Russia traditionally adheres orthodoxy, in the exposition, as well as in the city, main place take cardmaximums with the image of Christian churches. Among them the special place take:
The St. Isaac's Cathedral, in which 19.06.90 first was conducted in post soviet period a service, and since then divine service is made on great orthodox holidays.
The St. Peter and Paul Cathedral being imperial burial-place of Romanov's dynasty, since Peter the First and until the family of the last Russian emperor Nicolas II, on which recently was served requiem.
The Kazan Cathedral was constructed in honour of the wonder-working icon of Our Lady of Kasan and in 1811 it was consecrated.
Its ancient copy was delivered to St. Petersburg, on Peter I order, in 1710. The architect Voronikhin managed to achieve exclusive unity of all building premises. The solemn external shape of the cathedral amplifies by prayer mood of its internal interior. In 1929 the cathedral was closed. After three years in the Kazan Cathedral, the Museum of history of religion and atheism was placed.
From the Kazan bridge spanned through the Griboedov channel, in the distance it is possible to see the Temple of Christ's Resurrection or as it is still named - the Savior on blood. It was established on a place of destruction of tsar Alexander Ï by hand of a member of "People's Freedom" on the donations assembled all over Russia. The temple is constructed in an architectural manner, traditional for Russian churches, in XVII century. In the Soviet time, the city community managed to defend it from destruction. The temple is interesting as original Russian accent in classic architectural environment. It is the largest mosaic ensemble existing on church facades and internal walls.
The Smolny Cathedral being striking manifestation baroque in cult structures of city. After revolution, the destiny of the temple was sad.
Now perfect acoustics of the temple creates wonderful sounding to concerts of classical music, which are carried out here.
The St. Trinity Cathedral, which consecration was held in 1835. The original solutions of the construction of the temple and interiors have supplied to it the valuation of the contemporaries as breakthrough of Russian architecture. The consequent destiny of the temple has developed less happily. Its return to the Orthodox Church in 1990th years has allowed bringing back life to the temple.
The similar destiny overtook many other temples. In the exposition The Belfry of St. Nicolas' Navy Cathedral and the Church Quieting of St. Virgin are represented.
In the exposition the Catholic religion is represented by two cardmaximums with the image of the Lutheran Church of St. Peter and Paul, located on Nevsky prospect. The building is constructed in Romanic style, not characteristic of St. Petersburg. On one of cardmaximums the church is represented in the Soviet period, when in its premises the pool was arranged and the Angel lost a cross. On second cardmaximum the temple is represented in post-Soviet period, when the cross was returned to the Angel and in the church divine service was reinstated.
Islam is represented by the image of the Moham-medan Mosque, located on the Petrogradskaya Side.
Judaic faith is represented by cardmaximum with the image of the Petersburg Synagogue, On which the mark and stamp absolutely correspond to the image of a card.
The important part in spiritual revival of Russian community plays institutions of culture. The Alexand-rinsky Theatre and the Mariinsky Opera and Ballet Theatre, the Conservatoire with the monument to composer M.Glinka, Choreographic Academy on Theatrical street, Academy of arts on the University embankment, Theatre of Comedy, Capella, the Arts square with the monument to the great Russian poet A. Pushkin on it and Russian museum and many others are represented in this exposition.