In the exposition this theme takes stand 6, including 23 cardmaximums.
This is Petersburg's central thoroughfare, laid during the first years of the city's existence; it had originally been just a cutting in the forest connecting the Admiralty with the old Novgorod Road and had followed the present Ligovsky Prospect. In the 171Os the cutting was extended as far as the Alexander Nevsky Monastery, that had just been established. Thus, the length of the thorougfare reached more than 4km.
Later the cutting was paved and got the name of Big Perspective, which was in the late XVIII century renamed to Nevsky Prospect. It became the city's main street.
In the first half of the XVIII century palaces and country estate residences were being built in Nevsky Prospect. The fine ensembles alternated with ordinary buildings constituting a solid facade. The interplay of different architectural device, ensembles taking turns with vistas opening along the Moika and Fontanka rivers (Anichkov Palace and bridge), Griboyedov Canal (the Church of Christ's Resurrection, Bank bridge), streets Mikhailovskaya (Russian museum), Sadovaya (National Lidrary) and Theatrical (Alexander Theatre) make Nevsky Prospect an excellent sample of urban design.

Since 1776, by the order of the Commission for Construction, only stone buildings had been erected in the prospect. Since the second half of the XIX century Nevsky had become both commercial and business city centre; new banks and company offices were put up, as well as trade and apartment houses. In the stretch from the Admiralty up to the Fontanka River (XIX century city borderline) classical features predominate.
Cardmaximums on the stand are located in the course of traffic along the Nevsky Prospect from Admiralty up to square of Revolt, where the Moscow station is located.
In this exposition it is the last point of walking along the Nevsky Prospect.


Copyright 2008